US Policy on Refugees and Asylum
Monday 3/12/18 – Tuesday 3/13/18 – Wednesday 3/14/18
Today’s Objective(s): SWBAT
- Accurately summarize a text after reading/annotating
- Explain US Policy related to Refugees and Asylum Procedures
- Compare US Policy to other countries
Do Now – 5 minutes
- Please open your notebooks to page 28-29
- Respond to the following prompt on page 29…
Write a brief summary of the text we read on Friday about Refugees seeking asylum in Eastern Europe
LESSON – 40 minutes
Let’s recap for a minute. Recently, we’ve explored…
- What a refugee is, and we’ve also looked into other kinds of displaced people (IDPs, Migrants)
- International obligations that all countries are bound by to offer safety and relief to displaced people as they go through asylum procedures and ensure that universal human rights are respected for all
- Some specific case studies in Eastern Europe that clearly demonstrate that many countries are not adhering to these international obligations/expectations
Today through Wednesday, your job is to work together to explore US Policy related to Refugees and Asylum. You’ll use the following resources to obtain some very specific information, so that you can answer key questions related to these policies…
USDHHS – Refugees (lots of links on this page to explore…please do so in order to answer the related question fully)
NOTE: You will need to click around these sites to get everything you need.
Please write the following heading on page 30:
US Refugee Policies and Procedures
Below the heading, write these questions onto pages 30 and 31 (as shown in the picture below).
Please remember, your job is to answer these questions fully, using very precise and clear language. If you pull direct quotes, you must provide a proper reference. Also note, your answers MUST come from the resources listed above.
- How does the US define a Refugee?
- What seems to be the key difference between someone seeking Refugee protection and someone seeking Asylum?
- Describe the process of applying for refugee status for yourself and family members.
- Describe the process of how the US reviews an application that has been submitted for refugee status.
- What kinds of services and supports does the US provide those approved for Refugee status? Please be specific.
Closing – 5 minutes
The priority today is to get our notebooks set up and clear on the tasks for the coming two days. But if we make it beyond that, we’ll finish up by discussing the answers we’ve got so far.
Please respond to the Basecamp Message Board item titled Homework: Monday 3/12/18
- Identify the 30 human rights, prioritize among these rights, and articulate why human rights are important to them as individuals
- Apply understanding of human rights to new situations
- Demonstrate the ability to see the world from another person’s perspective
- Synthesize understanding about existing HRs, and about HRs issues in our community to develop new, relevant ideas that connect to our community
This Week’s Agenda
Setup notebooks for exploration of US Refugee Policy
Explore resources connected to US Refugee policy and answer key questions (MrD will be out and you will have a sub)
Continue Tuesday’s work, completing questions on pages 30 and 31 of your notebooks based on the resources introduced on Monday.
Reintroduce the current Challenge
What do we know, what do we need to know? Activity…
Quote of the Week
“Keep close to Nature’s heart… and break clear away, once in awhile, and climb a mountain or spend a week in the woods. Wash your spirit clean.”John Muir
Jeb is here to help...
- Drop by before or after school
- Come in at lunch
- Ping me on Basecamp
- Pass me a note
Whatever you do, don’t just
sit there wondering.
Get the help you need.