Refugees Around the World, Day 2
Today’s Objective(s): SWBAT
- Describe the trend of Refugee growth over the past few decades
- Compare and contrast the refugee experience in two different countries
Do Now – 10 minutes
Please open your notebooks to page 24-25 and share your findings with your table mates. If you haven’t completed some of that work, take the time to do so now.
LESSON – 50 minutes
After we’ve all had a chance to complete and review the information we began exploring yesterday, we’re going to have a class discussion about some important questions…
- What stood outMaybe the overall refugee numbers in 2016? Or the recognition that the US is nowhere near the top of the list of countries that take in refugees. Or how about the fact that 1 out of every 6 people in Lebanon is a refugee? to you about what you learned?
- Why do you think Turkey, Pakistan and Lebanonhave so many refugeesIs it something to do with their government policies? Or their people's attitudes? Or maybe their location??
- Why do you think the top 3 origin countries of refugees in the US are China, Haiti and El SalvadorLocation? Culture? Government policies? Something else??
Closing – 10 minutes
We will finish off the class period by coming back together to discuss our findings.
Please respond to the Basecamp message board item called “Homework: Thursday 3/1/17
- Identify the 30 human rights, prioritize among these rights, and articulate why human rights are important to them as individuals
- Apply understanding of human rights to new situations
- Demonstrate the ability to see the world from another person’s perspective
- Synthesize understanding about existing HRs, and about HRs issues in our community to develop new, relevant ideas that connect to our community
This Week’s Agenda
Finishing up some Bill of RIghts work/discussion
Beginning to explore the human rights of refugees
We’re talking Refugees…
Quote of the Week
“The time as we know it subjectively is often the chronology that stories and novels follow: it is the continuous thread of revelation.”Eudora Welty
Jeb is here to help...
- Drop by before or after school
- Come in at lunch
- Ping me on Basecamp
- Pass me a note
Whatever you do, don’t just
sit there wondering.
Get the help you need.