Back to the Challenge
Today’s Objective(s): SWBAT
- Explain ‘The Challenge”
- Identify missing information/understanding
- Discuss the HR issues present in Vista
Do Now – 3 minutes
- Notebooks open to 30/31 – be prepared to discuss your answers
LESSON – 50 minutes
Okay, to start things off, in your table groups, see if you can remember the Challenge we’re currently working on. Talk it out and see what you come up with.
Now that we’ve spent quite a while digging into human rights, it’s time to step back for a minute and get clear on not only where we’re headed, but where we’ve been, and what more is left to do.
We’ll spend some time discussing the 3 phases of the CBL framework:
And, of course, there are multiple steps within each phase. For example, the 3 parts of the Engage Phase are:
- The Big Idea – the broad concept to be explored
- The Essential Question – connects the Big Idea to our own lives
- The Challenge – turns the Essential Question into a call to action to learn deeply about the Big Idea
For the Human Rights Challenge, our Engage Phase looks like this.
A Contemporary Take on Human Rights
How can we address Human Rights issues in our own community?
Create a Declaration of Human Rights for Vista that addresses the modern human rights issues you see in our community
Closing – 5 minutes
Please respond to the Basecamp Message Board item titled Homework: Monday 3/12/18
- Identify the 30 human rights, prioritize among these rights, and articulate why human rights are important to them as individuals
- Apply understanding of human rights to new situations
- Demonstrate the ability to see the world from another person’s perspective
- Synthesize understanding about existing HRs, and about HRs issues in our community to develop new, relevant ideas that connect to our community
This Week’s Agenda
Setup notebooks for exploration of US Refugee Policy
Explore resources connected to US Refugee policy and answer key questions (MrD will be out and you will have a sub)
Continue Tuesday’s work, completing questions on pages 30 and 31 of your notebooks based on the resources introduced on Monday.
Reintroduce the current Challenge
What do we know, what do we need to know? Activity…
Quote of the Week
“Keep close to Nature’s heart… and break clear away, once in awhile, and climb a mountain or spend a week in the woods. Wash your spirit clean.”John Muir
Jeb is here to help...
- Drop by before or after school
- Come in at lunch
- Ping me on Basecamp
- Pass me a note
Whatever you do, don’t just
sit there wondering.
Get the help you need.