Mock Trial Performed
Today’s Objective(s): SWBAT
- Clearly define human rights
- Begin identifying the 30 universal human rights
- Demonstrate the protections that existing laws provide related to our HR
Do Now – 5 minutes
Coordinate with your group and prepare to perform your mock trial skit.
LESSON – 35 minutes
Activity: Mock Trial
Today you’ll be performing the mock trial that you and your group created based on the following 6 human rights.
6. You have rights no matter where you go
7. We’re all equal before the law
8. Your human rights are protected by law
9. No unfair detainment
10. The right to trial
11. We’re always innocent until proven guilty
Depending on which group you were in, your assignment was to do one of the following:
- Create a scene with an unfair trial that violates the defendant’s human rights
- Create a trial that is fair and which applies the human rights just studied (#6-11)
Closing – 3 minutes
Pair-up and spend 1 full minute reciting the HR definition and listing the 11 human rights we’ve studied so far. Try to do so from memory. Have your partner do the same.
Study for your quiz. You will be asked to write down the definition for human rights that we’ve been using/studying, and the first 11 human rights from the UDHR. Putting them in order will get you full credit.
- Identify the 30 HRs and articulate why human rights are important to them as individuals
- Order and explain the historical evolution of HRs using primary sources
- Identify historical and/or modern day examples of HRs violations
- Synthesize understanding about existing HRs, and about HRs issues in our community to develop new, relevant ideas that connect to our community
This Week’s Agenda
Performing our mock trials
Human Rights quiz, and introduction to HRs # 12-18.
GQ Review and introduce HR 12-18
Introduce HR 19-25 and explore Freedome of Expression in depth
Quote of the Week
Jeb is here to help...
- Drop by before or after school
- Come in at lunch
- Ping me on Basecamp
- Pass me a note
Whatever you do, don’t just
sit there wondering.
Get the help you need.