Monday 9/25/2017 – OPENING: 20 minutes
Today we’ll get warmed up with a game of 20 Questions. Since it’s our first time, I’ll play the role of the ‘Answerer’, but in future games, you all will fill this role.
- The Answerer thinks up something, and says, “I’m thinking of a/an <<animal, ice cream flavor, food, movie, book, famous person, meme, etc>>
- Class takes turns asking Yes or No questions (everyone gets a chance to ask – so may be more than 20 questions unless it’s guessed early) to narrow in on what it is.
- The point of the questions is to get to a point where you can ‘guess with certainty’, based on the answers the class has gotten up to that point. If we get through all questioners, we must make a guess.
- In order to guess early (before all people get a chance to ask), there must be some consensus from all questioners. To get this, 1 person raises his/her hand and, when chosen, says ‘I have a guess’. He/She presents it to the class and gets a show of hands in support. Majority vote means they get to offer the guess.
- An incorrect guess ends the game, and the Answerer is the winner.
- Any guess blurted out, without consensus, ends the game and the Answerer is the winner.
- If the questioners win, the lead learner (Jeb) decides the one person who asked the best (most thoughtful, relevant, creative, useful) question, and that person is “THE” winner.
- Winners get a prize – either candy, or some privilege.
LESSON – 20 minutes
Today we’re going to introduce Unit 2 – The Natural World.
The goals here are as follows:
- Practice developing good questions.
- Practice listening, and building on the work of others.
- Opportunities to work together.
Quote of the Week
“The clearest way into the Universe is through a forest wilderness.”John Muir